English Corner
Thursday, December 09, 2004
 
Criticizing Tactfully (Part 3 of 5) 技巧地批評
EXPRESS YOURSELF: Criticizing Tactfully (Part 3 of 5) 技巧地批評

The following conversations show people criticizing someone. Be careful to note that the speakers are expressing criticism, not anger.

Conversation 2

(a sales manager is talking to one of his salesmen)
Carl: Judd, may I have a word with you in my office?
Judd: Sure. What's up?
Carl: I'm really dissatisfied with your sales report this month. It should have been a lot better. You only brought in one new account.
Judd: Well, with the economy in a slump, it's harder and harder to find clients.
Carl: Yes, but we sell an excellent product. I don't want excuses, I want results. I expect to see a better report next month.


Conversation 3

(at a restaurant)
Wilbur: I think I'll have beef noodles for lunch.
Charlotte: Wilbur, I've been meaning to talk to you. I don't like the way you slurp noisily when you eat noodles. It's really unpleasant to eat with you. I don't want to hurt your feelings, but you might want to think about improving your eating habits.
Wilbur: I'm sorry it bothers you. Maybe I should have some-thing else?
Charlotte: Why don't you have some fried rice? The shrimp fried rice at this restaurant is really delicious.


下面的會話是某人批評另外一個人。請小心留意說話的人是在表達批評,而非怒氣。

會話二

(一位銷售經理正和他的一位銷售員講話中)
卡爾:祝德。我能不能在我的辦公室裡和你談談呢?
祝德:當然可以。什麼事?
卡爾:我對你這個月的銷售報告非常失望。它應該可以更好。你只做了一筆新生意。
祝德:嗯,在經濟不景氣的時候,客戶是愈來愈難找了。
卡爾:對,但是我們有很棒的產品。我不要藉口,我只要結果。我期待下個月能看到更好的報告。


會話三

(在一家餐廳)
威爾伯:我想中午就吃牛肉麵好了。
莎洛特:哦,威爾伯,我早就想要和你談了。我不喜歡你吃麵的時候大聲啜食。和你一起吃飯真是不舒服,我不想傷你的感情,但是或許你應該考慮一下改進你吃東西的習慣。
威爾伯:很抱歉那讓你那麼不舒服,也許我該吃點別的東西。
莎洛特:你為麼不吃炒飯呢?這家餐廳的蝦仁炒飯非常可口。


【Word Bank】
account (n) 一筆生意
slurp (v) 發出聲音地啜食
have a word with someone (v phr) 和某人談話
in a slump (prep phr) 指經濟不景氣

The Day's Phrase
Oscar sure is a tough cookie. He hurt his leg but still won the race.
奧斯卡可真是個硬漢。他腿受傷了,卻仍贏了賽跑。

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger