English Corner
Thursday, December 09, 2004
 
Criticizing Tactfully (Part 1 of 5) 技巧地批評
"To err is human."
We all make mistakes, and we all know people who want to point them out to us. Although criticism is unpleasant, it doesn't have to be bad. Tactful criticism encourages us to improve. When we criticize, we want to change an unpleasant situation or habit. Sometimes the service at a hotel is poor, or the food at a restaurant is not satisfactory. Maybe a colleague or classmate has done something carelessly that affects us. When we find fault, we need to say it carefully. Study these useful phrases for expressing criticism.  
* I'm a little dissatisfied with the quality of the food in this restaurant.  
* I don't like your attitude at work. You should show more respect to your manager.  
* I'm disappointed with your grades this semester, son. They could be better.  
* I don't care for this hamburger. It's too rare.   
* I'm tired of always cleaning the house by myself. Can't you help me?  
* It might be helpful if you got some advice from a close friend.  
* Perhaps next time you should try harder.   
* I'm not pleased with your sales record this month.  
* I'm unhappy with the lazy way you do your homework.  
* I'm upset about your behavior at the meeting. You shouldn't let criticism get to you.  
* That's a good start.  
* I'm afraid I have a complaint.  
* That performance was nothing special.  
* The service here is disappointing.

「犯錯是人類的天性。」
我們都會犯錯,我們也知道那些想指出我們錯誤的人是誰。雖然批評令人不悅,但卻不見得是件壞事情。有技巧的批評會鼓勵我們進步。當我們批評的時候,我們是想改變一個令人不悅的情況或是習慣。有時候,一家旅館的服務很差或是一家餐廳的食物不能令人滿意。或許一位同事或同學無心地做了些事影響了我們。當我們追究他人錯誤時,我們需要小心地說。研讀以下這些對於表達批評有用的句子。  
* 我對這家餐廳的食物不太滿意。  
* 我不喜歡你的工作態度,你應該更尊重你的經理。  
* 兒子,我對你這學期的成績有些失望,它們可以更好。  
* 我不喜歡這個漢堡,它煎得太生了。  
* 我已厭煩老是得自己清理這個房子。你能幫我的忙嗎?  
* 如果你能從知己那裡得到一些建議,會對你有幫助的。  
* 也許下次你應該更努力。  
* 我對你這個月的業績並不滿意。  
* 我對你作功課的偷懶態度不甚高興。  
* 我對於你在會議當中的表現很生氣。  
* 你不應該讓批評困擾你。  
* 那是個好的開始。  
* 我恐怕有個抱怨要提出來。  
* 那個表演並沒什麼特別的。  
* 這裡的服務令人失望。

Word Bank
err (v) 犯錯
colleague (n) 同事
rare (adj) 生的
behavior (n) 行為; 舉止; 態度

The Day's Phrase
If I could just get my bearings, then I could find my way home.
如果我能認出方向的話,我就能找到回家的路了。


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger